Contact Us

Office of International Students & Scholars
6901 Willow Street
New Orleans, LA 70118
Tel: (504) 865-5208
Fax: (504) 865-5209

International Faculty/Staff Requesting
H-1B or TN Status

Information for departments wishing to sponsor employees in H-1B status:

H-1B temporary workers are defined under immigration law as foreign nationals working in a specialty occupation. Specialty occupations are those that “require theoretical and practical application of highly specialized knowledge obtained through a course of study that culminates with a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent”. The H-1B is based on an employer/employee relationship with wage requirements set by the US Department of Labor (DOL). Both the Job and the Worker must qualify under the H-1B regulations. (Refer to H-1B Introduction and Instructions to learn more.)

Required Filing Fees:
(to be paid by the hiring department)

$460 Petition Fee: mandatory for all H-1B petitions (including extensions);
$500 Anti-Fraud Fee: mandatory in all new cases except H-1B extensions;

Optional Fees for the H-1B Visa:
$1225 Premium Processing Fee: if expedicted processing is necessary, departments must pay the premium processing fee as part of the business expense of the H-1B petition.

The Department must not require the employee to pay, unless the reason is due to certain personal circumstances, such as traveling abroad for presentations or vacations.

Unless there is a clear benefit to the worker (distinct and separate from any benefit to the University), the Department must pay the $1225 fee.

I-539 Application fee for H-4 dependent application (to be paid by the employee):
$370 (all family members are included);

All checks should be made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” and submitted directly to Tulane OISS.

Information for prospective/ continuing H-1B employees:

Information for departments wishing to sponsor employees in TN status:
TN (Treaty NAFTA) employment status is available to Canadian and Mexican citizens.

Can be obtained via travel (about $50 fee) or by filing an I-129 Petition with USCIS ($325.00 filing fee).

For questions about H-1B or TN, please contact Nancy Lauland at or (504) 865-5208.

Resources for accompanying spouse / partners:

Learn about continuing your career or volunteering opportunities.

Get an identification card that will allow you to ride Tulane University shuttles.