Tulane Home Tulane Shield logo linking to site home page

Non-Tulane Study Abroad

What is "Non-Tulane"?

"Non-Tulane" is studying abroad through a leave of absence. In this scenario, the student withdraws from Tulane with the help of their academic advisor, and pays their host institution or program directly. Doing study abroad through this route involves many logistical steps, and students pursuing this path must be very aware of the potential complications. 

Before completing the application, students should contact an advisor in the Office of Study Abroad to discuss their proposed course of study. 

Why do I need to apply?

In order to seek transfer credit approval for a semester or summer study abroad program not approved by Newcomb-Tulane College, students must complete the Non-Tulane Study Abroad Program petition available on the Office of Study Abroad website. You should also consult with a study abroad advisor.  This petition must be approved in order for students to transfer credit earned on a Non-Tulane Program back to Tulane.

Students participating in such programs will request a leave of absence from the university and will handle all study abroad matters directly with the foreign university or program provider. Please note that all credits earned abroad must appear on a World Education Services course-by-course transcript evaluation report, based on a transcript from an accredited degree-granting institution overseas, or on a program provider’s accredited U.S. School of Record transcript. Petitions involving programs that are not accredited, such as stand-alone language institutes, will not be approved for transfer credit.

How do I find a program?

Our office does not advise on Non-Tulane programs outside of reviewing petitions for their ability to generate U.S. transcripts. You will undertake self-directed research to choose a program.

Additionally, you must confirm that the program/host university is able to take students who are not affiliated with a U.S. institution. Some institutions will not accept unaffiliated students. 

I want to do a CIEE program as a Non-Tulane student.

Tulane is the School of Record for CIEE, meaning that we provide transcript services for all CIEE programs. As such, leave of absence requests will not be approved for CIEE-sponsored programs undertaken during the Fall, Spring, or Summer terms. If you are interested in a CIEE program, you must go through the official study abroad application process through the Office of Study Abroad and apply by our stated internal deadline. 

Are there any potential complications to the Non-Tulane process?

There are several potential risks.

  • Non-Tulane programs are not vetted by our office, and we cannot guarantee their quality or housing conditions. 
  • Non-Tulane students do not have access to Tulane services, such as OSA/Academic Advising, Success Coaches, Global Rescue (our evacuation service), the libraries, and more. 
  • There can be a loss of credit during the transferring process. When going through the Office of Study Abroad, students are guaranteed general elective credit for all courses if they receive a passing grade. For Non-Tulane, each class must be individually approved by both the Academic Advisor and corresponding department. If either says no, then the credit will not transfer. Keep in mind that more than likely you will not know for sure if courses will transfer prior to going abroad. 
  • Institutional scholarships may have mandates for continuous enrollment attached to them, and taking a leave of absence could jeopardize scholarship renewal. Additionally, many federal and private student loans may require that you be enrolled at a U.S. institution in order to be disbursed. It is the student's responsibility to meet with a financial aid advisor to see if taking a leave of absence would disrupt any funding. 

When is the application due?

The Office of Study Abroad reviews applications to study on a Non-Tulane Program on a rolling basis. They will be reviewed as they are received. Students will be notified on the Friday following the submission of their application via email.

What about traveling programs?

Completion of the Non-Tulane Study Abroad Program form is not required for Semester at Sea and similar programs. Due to the unique structure and objectives of traveling programs like Semester at Sea, Tulane's procedure for participating in such programs is the same as for regular study at any other U.S. university while on a leave of absence from Tulane. Interested students should consult with the Academic Advising Center for further details about procedure for transfer of credit from such programs.

Is there a way to do official Tulane study abroad, but for a program not on the website? Or do I have to do Non-Tulane?

There is a way. Through the Independent Scholar Option (ISO), Tulane students may propose to study abroad for a year or semester through a university or program that has not been pre-approved by the Tulane Study Abroad Committee. The ISO review process is highly-selective, requiring a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA, a well-articulated academic statement highlighting the proposed study, service, internship, and/or research experience, a faculty letter of recommendation that articulates the student’s ability to successfully complete their proposed ISO, and final approval by TSAC (Tulane Study Abroad Committee).

The ISO is an opportunity to pursue a unique intellectual interest, not duplicate existing Newcomb-Tulane program offerings.  Given the breadth and variety of Newcomb-Tulane options in the UK, Ireland, Australia, as well as Anglophone Africa and Asia, proposals for work conducted solely in English are discouraged unless a compelling academic need exists. 

Before submitting an ISO application, students are required to meet with a study abroad advisor to discuss how to select a program likely to meet the academic expectations of the Tulane Study Abroad Committee.

Who does my home school nomination?

Home School Nomination forms should be sent to your Academic Advisor for completion regardless of whether they ask for a study abroad advisor signature.