During the summer study abroad staff are able to advise by appointment. Schedule here!

Transferring Credit

If you are you studying abroad through an OSA approved program, your courses will automatically come back as general elective credit towards your 120-hour requirement needed to graduate. 

Some departments have pre-approved courses abroad and provide equivalency information to our office. This list is provided for convenience but note that this is not an exhaustive list of courses you can take on your program. Consult your academic department for approval of additional courses. 

Department-Approved Course Equivalencies


How Does The Credit Transfer Process Work?

For coursework completed on an OSA approved program, the Tulane transcript will automatically show all courses, grades, and credits as 5000-level general electives, and they will count towards your overall number of credit hours required to graduate. No paperwork or approval is needed for elective credit. 

If you would like to receive major, minor, or NTC core credit for courses taken abroad, you must request departmental credit from the department’s study abroad  contact (see the last section on this page) and have them complete the OSA Course Equivalency Form once you have completed your coursework. While most departments will not sign off on credit transfer until you return from study abroad, we strongly recommend meeting with them prior to your departure to discuss what content a course should have in order to function as a Tulane equivalent. 

OSA Course Equivalency Form


Students should save all course materials (e.g. syllabi, papers, exams), in order for courses departments to evaluate courses for departmental credit. Depending on the department and host country language, you may need to translate course materials in order to submit them for credit transfer.  Please note that we cannot post course equivalencies until we receive your final transcripts from your program or host university. 

When Should I Submit my Course Equivalency Form?

Course Equivalency Forms should be submitted to our office upon your return from study abroad. Please note that we cannot post course equivalencies until we receive your final transcripts from your program or host university. Our office cannot hold forms on file throughout the semester or academic year so please do not submit equivalency forms prior to your departure. 

Who Should I Meet With?

While certain departments, such as Communications, typically have a designated faculty member who signs off on study abroad transfer credit, others will defer this responsibility to your assigned major or minor advisor within the department. You can check our Major Guides page for more information on interdepartmental policies on credit transfer. 

Students are required to complete a program evaluation in order to receive their grades from abroad.  

In general, when seeking credit for courses taken abroad, students should speak to these individuals both prior to departure and upon return to complete the Course Equivalency Form: 

  • NTC Core Curriculum (Historical Perspectives, Aesthetics and Creative Arts, etc.): petition process with your Academic Advisor  

  • Tier-2 Public Service: petition the Center for Public Service 

  • Major requirement: Major Advisor or designated faculty member, see Major Guides 

  • Minor requirement; assigned advisor or designated faculty member, see Major Guides.  

Still not sure who to meet with? Try contacting the department head. 

Where Should I send my Transcripts?

Transcripts from approved study abroad programs should be sent via email to crystal@tulane.edu or to the attention of Joanie Vicknair at the following address: 

Tulane University Center for Global Education 

6901 Willow St, 2nd Floor 

New Orleans, LA 70118 U.S.A. 

The process to transfer credit from your study abroad program to your Tulane record may take up to four months, depending on the host institution. Students planning to graduate the semester of or immediately after their study abroad should take this into consideration and may need to delay graduation.

How Do I Receive my Grades from Abroad?

Students are required to complete a program evaluation in order to receive their grades from abroad.  Grades students earn while studying abroad will appear on their Tulane transcript but will not be calculated into their cumulative GPA. This policy will not apply to Tulane faculty-led summer programs, or to courses completed during study abroad exchange programs offered through the Freeman School of Business.  

Complete Your Program Evaluation